Consensus not tenable, Sen.Al-Makura Roars



By Aviashima Toom, Abuja

Former Governor of Nasarawa state and All Progressives Congress (APC) chairmanship aspirant, Senator Tanko Al-Makura, has kicked against the consensus option in choosing the next leader of the ruling party.

Addressing journalists at the party secretariat after submission of his nomination forms, Al-Makura noted that, he is a democrat and a believer in inclusive politics which allows people to exercise their franchise by voting the candidates of their choice.

“I’m a democrat. Our party constitution has given three procedures for emergence of leadership, direct, indirect, and consensus. But I can tell you, the best option is that which allows franchise and permission for everyone to participate in the exercise. I will support an open-door policy, internal party democracy with full participation of members so that they will have a sense of belonging and determine the fate and direction of the party.

“My experience in the field of politics, which I believe will come handy, at this point in time, is the fact that I was a youth leader. And if you see the population of APC, it is populated by majority of the youth. Even though I’m about 70, I am youth at heart, because I have been a youth leader; a youth leader as NUNS executive in 1974, a youth leader as MP and youth leader in Plateau. So I know the terrain and the mindset of youth.
With regards to women, I am among those that advocate for affirmative action. So I am in a very good, comfortable environment with the women. You can see that they are surrounding me.

“What I’m bringing to the table is my experience, as a party official, my experience as a youth and my experience as a friend to the female gender. My experience as governor of Nasarawa state for eight years has afforded me the opportunity to know the dynamics of administration. So I will be very amenable with the governors because we’ll be on the same page.

“So also the legislators who make the laws for this country, by the special grace of God, I’m a Senator. And I will relate with all legislators from Senate up to counsellor so that together we can give this country that desired leadership that will enhance deep seated democracy in the system.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gov. Alia Celebrates Predecessor at 63

Residents of FCT Pass Vote of Confidence on Wike

Hybrid Solar Panel Factory Soon To Take Off in Makurdi