DHQ Dismisses Terrorist Base Claims in South-West, Launches Full-Scale Hunt for Oyo School Attackers
By Aviashima Toom, Abuja
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has strongly refuted reports suggesting that terrorist groups have established operational bases in Nigeria’s South-West region, insisting that the recent attack and abduction of schoolchildren in Oyo State was an isolated criminal incident and not evidence of an entrenched insurgency.
In a statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Olatunbosun Oluyede, expressed deep sympathy to the families of victims abducted during attacks on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
General Oluyede described the abduction of innocent pupils and school staff as “callous and reprehensible,” assuring Nigerians that troops were fully committed to securing the safe and unconditional release of all victims.
“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of every abducted victim,” the statement said.
The military high command also urged Nigerians to remain calm, united, and supportive of ongoing security operations across the affected areas.
Addressing growing concerns over alleged terrorist infiltration in the South-West, the DHQ stated that current intelligence assessments do not support claims that any permanent terrorist structure exists within the forests or hinterlands of the region.
According to the statement, the Armed Forces had previously carried out extensive clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park corridor, successfully dismantling criminal hideouts and neutralizing their operational capacity.
“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region,” the DHQ clarified.
The military warned against narratives capable of causing panic among residents or exaggerating the strength of criminal groups operating in the area.
Meanwhile, troops have intensified pursuit operations across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the South-West, with the DHQ confirming that soldiers recently engaged the fleeing criminals in a gun battle.
“Troops made contact with the criminal elements two days ago, have since reorganized, and are continuing search and pursuit operations with full determination,” the statement added.
The Armed Forces said it is working closely with other security agencies, local vigilantes, and community members to gather intelligence and ensure the safe rescue of the abducted victims.
The military further pledged not to relent until all victims are rescued, criminal networks dismantled, and lasting peace restored across the South-West and the country at large.
Comments
Post a Comment